History

The Lord Harris Mark Lodge 1494 was consecrated on Saturday 21 January 1978.

The Lodge was named after Lord George St. Vincent Harris, 5th Baron of Seringapatam and Mysore (right), who was Provincial Grand Master of the Mark Province of Kent from November 1936 to September 1956, a period of nearly 20 years!

Having had the privilege of having so distinguished a person ruling the Province for so long, it was quite fitting that a Lodge should bear his name.  It must have been with great pride that the Founders received permission to use the Lord Harris name and so assembled on that Saturday evening to form the Lord Harris Lodge of Mark Master Masons No 1494. Pictures and links to a history of the family of Lord Harris can be found in this history section on the page entitled The Barons Harris.

Next to the founding of a Lodge, the proudest moment is achieving the silver jubilee. For Lord Harris Mark Lodge, this indicated 25 years of building on achievement and success. We are only where we are today because of the effort and input of those, who have gone before us over history.

The Lord Harris Mark Lodge celebrated its silver jubilee on Friday 21 February 2003. As with nearly everything, the arrangements for the meeting were coordinated and managed by the late, great WBro Derrick Lincoln, who was secretary of the Lodge from 1986 to 2011 and is now sadly missed by us all.

WBro Derrick oversaw the production of a celebratory booklet. This booklet contains a potted history of the Lodge with many interesting facts and snippets of information. The photograph on page 17 is an excellent piece of history but also a cause for reflection and some sadness as we have lost so many of those featured. For the rest of us, we are able to look and reflect upon how we have all changed through the years! Please click on the thumbnail image to the left to read a copy of the booklet.

Further history items can be viewed by using the sub-menu links to the left.